9.17.2007

Biscuits and Gravy

Before meeting my husband, I had never eaten biscuits and gravy. Upon learning this, he was shocked, since, growing up, it was practically his favorite meal. Needless to say, I had to learn to like it and learn to make it, just like his mother does.

That said, I can't believe I've never posted our recipe here, considering the meal is a staple at our house, when we find time to make everything. The meals is always made from-scratch and feeds about 3 people (more, if you have other sides like hashbrowns, eggs, or bacon)


The Biscuits
- 2 C flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 - 1/3 C shortening
- 3/4 - 1 C milk
Mix dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with hands until lumpy (I squeeze the shortening into the flour until it all looks like crumbs). Use a fork to quickly mix in milk, with not too much stirring, just enough to get everything wet. If it is too dry, add a bit more milk. Dump the dough on a floured countertop, roll the dough to 1/2 inch thick, and cut into squares or use an upside-down cup to get round biscuits. (I think proper biscuits should be round. My husband is less picky.)
Cook at 450 for 10-15 minutes. Makes about 12 small biscuits


I've decided it is impossible to take a good picture of gravy, ever.
Gravy:
- 1/2 lb sausage
- 1/2 C flour
- 3 C milk
Brown the sausage. If the sausage doesn't have much grease, add a teaspoon of butter. Take the pan off the heat and mix in 1/2 C flour. Put back on the heat and add the milk 1/2 C at a time. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir occasionally until it boils. If the gravy gets too thick, add more milk.

These were recipe instructions I was given to recreate my husband's childhood home-cooked memory. Normally, he helps a significant amount,, and I may just tend to the gravy while he does everything else. This Sunday for brunch, however, I cooked the whole thing myself, and I think it turned out pretty well. Alas, no finished-product-on-a-plate picture because it was all gobbled up too quickly.

2 comments:

Daniel and Teresa said...

Mmmmm... I love biscuits and gravy. We decided to make it here one time using a Dominican sausage and it actually turned out pretty good. Seeing pics makes me want to make it again...

Stephanie Appleton said...

This meal too is one of my favorites. When we eat breakfast out I order it a lot. I don't make it it home often. Not sure why it really is easy.

Followers