7.11.2007

Grilled-Cheese-and-Tomato-Soup Soup

At our house, grilled cheese is a staple for quick weekend lunches and light dinners. And Grilled Cheese is never served without its constant companion, Tomato Soup. I don't know where I came across this meal idea, but I thought it was so cute, and last night was a perfect opportunity to try it.

You'll need:
1 can Cream of Tomato soup
1 can milk
Croutons
bite-sized cheese cubes (I didn't have these, so I used shredded cheese. I think the cubes would work better.)

Heat soup and milk in a small saucepan until hot and ready to serve. Add dried basil, garlic powder, or whatever spices you like. Ladle into serving bowls. Top with croutons and cheese cubes.

The croutons add a nice crunch to the soup, and the cheese gets all melted and stringy, which is fun. This isn't the typical summer fare, because it's a hot soup (on hot evenings...), but it's a fun change of pace, especially for kids. The best part: it's a meal in itself! The crisp bread and gooey cheese of the grilled cheese sandwich, plus the sweet, creamy warmth of the tomato soup- all in one bowl!

1 comment:

ashley said...

In the winters, I can have grilled cheese for lunch 3-4 times a week! Mmm... This recipe looks good, though! I'll have to try it.

Followers