9.02.2009

Month-long meal plan wrap up

Last Month, I ate at home for more consecutive days than I have in as long as I can remember. It was a small feat, to be sure, since most normal people I know do this on a regular basis. I updated the meals list as the month went on to show what we actually ate (as opposed to the original plans I had)

Did we eat anything fancy? No. Could we have eaten healthier? Yes. Is any meal at home healthier than eating at a restaurant? I'd argue, most of the time. Portions at home are much smaller, and I eat less (almost no) fried food at home, and almost always have something fried when I eat out.

So what did I learn?
Part of the goal last month was to eat from our pantry and freezer exclusively. I ended up spending about $30 on groceries the entire month, replacing staples. This part of the experiment was a success. I also discovered it's almost impossible to plan ahead of time from what groceries I'll need- By August 31st, I was totally out of eggs and butter drinks, and the pantry and freezer were considerably more empty. That said, I was impressed  how much food we keep on hand. This "clearing out" month was good for us.

I learned that the convenience foods were the first to go, and I had to increasingly cook from scratch more and more as the month went on. I guess I'm lazy- I took the easy way out many times early in the month.

I learned that, if we eat at home more  and I'm cooking from scratch, I do a LOT more dishes. Luckily I have a wonderful husband who helped me out on this one. Canning projects also dirtied a good number of dishes, adding to the load.

The biggest thing is, I learned it can be done. Even in the midst of working and get-togethers and family events and church responsibilities and lessons, dinner can be on the table. It's not anything elaborate most nights, it's just simple and filling and good family time together.

Needless to say, September 1st, with an empty pantry and freezer and no meal plan to speak of, we ate out at one of our favorite restaurants. I felt it was deserved.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the post. kindly visit us @ SMARTLEADERS IAS ACADEMY - IAS Material Chennai | Free Materials for IAS at Chennai

Catering Institutes said...

Thank you.kindly visit us @ Catering Colleges in Tamilnadu - Tamilism

India Motorcycle Tour said...

This is an informative post which is so clear and understandable. It is excellent information with unique content of this blog and it is very useful to know about the information based on blogs.
Motorcycle Tours in India

Kalam Training Academy said...

Visiting here for the first time.Nice Blog :)

Tnpsc Coaching Centre

Best Tnpsc Coaching Centre in Chennai

Tnpsc Current Affairs

Followers