9.16.2008

Pear Sauce in the Crockpot

Taking inspiration from Stephanie, and having an abundance of pears ripening on my counter, I decided to try my hand at making pear sauce (think applesauce, only with pears!)

Amazingly, I started cooking this before dinner, then 15 people showed up at my house for a couple hours, and, after they left, I had a successful result- this goes to show how "hands off" this recipe is.
Pear Sauce in the Crockpot

Enough peeled, sliced, cored pears to fill the crockpot. (I used one of those peeler-corer-slicer things on my pears, but found that VERY ripe pears just kind of squished in the device and made a mess. I wasn't a fan of the mess, with the company expected and all.)
About 1 cup water
Sugar to taste

Put pears in the crockpot, and pour water over them. Turn the crockpot to High until the pears start to get soft, then cook on low. open the crockpot periodically to stir & break up the pears. Add sugar each time you open the crockpot to stir- but taste it first! I didn't need as much sugar as I added.

When the pears are very soft and mostly broken up, add cinnamon to taste (optionally) and use an electric hand mixer to finish breaking up the pears. Voila! Sauce!

If you prefer a less chunky sauce, run the sauce through your blender or food processor. I prefer the chunks.

From here you can can the sauce or freeze it. After discovering I don't have a pot taller than my pint jars, I froze it in sealed bags. The pear sauce can be used as a side in lunches or dinners, or served hot or cold over ice cream. Yum!
Thanks to generous friends with a pear tree, I have plenty more pears where these came from. I'll probably make another pear pie, then use the rest to make some more pear sauce, because this was so easy.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

I'm going to give this a try! I did a google search for "pear sauce crock pot recipe" and your blog was the first hit!
Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Emily said...

I'd like to echo what Nikki said. Last night I watched a friend make slow-cooker applesauce, and figured I should probably do the same to use up my pears. Thanks!

Jodi said...

I just used this recipe, and it was SO easy, and SO SO good!
Thank you!

Followers