3.26.2007

Free Pears

Originally posted at keeping feet on 11/2/2006

So, I mentioned earlier that we came upon free pears on the side of the road, and helped ourselves to plenty because I had promised to make a pie. I also mentioned that these seemed like very large pears, and we grabbed quite a hefty plastic-shopping-bag-full.

Last night was my pear-pie baking evening, and my mom came over to help out, because the most time-consuming part is peeling and slicing the silly things. Well, we got started peeling and slicing, and we got through about a third of the pears and realized we already had accumulated the 6 cups of fruit called for by the recipe. I didn't have anything else to do with the fruit, so I told my mom to keep peeling and slicing while I made the first pie. By the end, we made 2 pies and had plenty left over to cook in cinnamon and sugar for a yummy treat. The first pie went to Josh's work, the second to my mom for all her help. I kept the cooked pears and had some fro breakfast this morning :)

And, after all of that, I'm out of brown sugar. And pears, thankfully.

3 comments:

fairytail3982 said...

Looks delicious! Can you post the recipe? I'm going to try to make your pear sauce tomorrow but am adding ginger. :)

Elizabeth said...

these look scrumptious, I googled pear sauce in crock and found your site, If you have the recipe still handy for your pies, can you share ( i realize this is a very old post, lol!)? thanks so much!

Joanna said...

The pear pie recipe is a combination of a couple different recipes- I can't believe I've never posted it! I came across free pears yet again this year, so perhaps I'll get one whipped up & posted soon.

It's basically an apple pie with a streusel topping, substituting pears.

The pear sauce recipe is here

Followers