3.26.2007

Italian Sausage Soup

Originally published on 8/25/2006 at keeping feet



This picture is demonstrating the quality of my new phone's camera, since Ashley and Beth expressed an interest in what I thought of the phone. It's great, except I think Josh's camera on his phone is better. For me, though, this is the first camera-phone I've ever had, so I'm loving it.

More importantly, though, this is a picture of my latest cooking attempt, and it was declared by my picky-eater husband as a success! Hooray! I thought it was pretty yummy as well.

When I asked Josh earlier in the day, he wasn't going to be super-hungry for dinner, so just soup or a sandwich sounded good to him. Well, I was going to be hungry, so I decided to compromise and whip up this Italian Sausage Soup for dinner that would be hearty enough for a whole meal.

Italian Sausage Soup
  • 1/2 lb mild Italian Sausage

  • 3 medium tomatoes peeled & chopped or 1 can tomatoes, chopped with their juices (I had diced tomatoes, so that's what I used.)
  • 3 cups chicken broth (Again, I used what I had-- water & chicken bouillon cubes)
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 cup uncooked macaroni
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • ~1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (This wasn't in the original recipe, but I thought it sounded good. I'm all about sneaking vegetables into dishes-- we don't eat enough.)


  • Brown sausage at the bottom of a large saucepan.
  • Add tomatoes, broth, and basil.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Stir in macaroni & let simmer for about 10 minutes, until the macaroni is tender. Add the corn 3-5 minutes before the macaroni is done.
  • Add salt and serve


The recipe said it served about 4 (I'd say about 3, unless you were having bread & salad with it), and that it could be refrigerated for a couple days or frozen, so we've got about 1/3 of the soup left in our freezer for a side dish later.

Tonight is our 3rd Social Friday in a row-- we're going bowling with our small group. It shall be fun, for they are a fun group of people.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Did you see that the pioneer woman just posted a recipe for Italian meatball soup? Sounds SO good right now!

Followers