5.28.2009

Kale Chips

Kale's a new food for me. When I first heard about it just a couple years ago, I had to look up what it was! I bought it for the first time just this year, and stuck it in the aforementioned green smoothies. I had some left over, and wanted to see what else tasty I could make with it, searched for recipes, and came upon this snack food that other food bloggers were raving about. With the few leaves left in my fridge, I had to try it.

Kale Chips

Olive oil (1-2 Tbsps)
Vinegar or apple cider vinegar (1 Tbsp)
Sea salt
Kale leaves

Tear kale into bite-sized pieces, about 1-inch pieces. Put in bowl with oil & vinegar; toss to coat. Spread on a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes, until crisp. Edges of leaves should be browned.

When I read a similar recipe, I didn't believe lettuce would get crisp, ever. I was highly skeptical. Amazingly, the leaves did get crisp, and were light and crispy and slightly salty like a good potato chip, but packed with good stuff, so I didn't feel bad eating all of them. In one sitting. Before dinner.

That picture is only half of the chips. I stopped eating long enough to record my experiment.

No comments:

Followers