2.28.2009

Vacation food!

Hi there!

I'm in Hawaii right now, so have been out of the blogging scene this week. I only have access to email- not the web or Twitter or anything even remotely exciting- so I'm feeling a little out-of-the-loop.
One of the things I was most looking forward to in Hawaii was food I've missed very much. Here's a sampling of what I've indulged in the last few days:
- fresh fruit- papaya, mango, pineapple, banana
- poi- can't come to Hawaii and skip the poi!
- lau-lau - meat wrapped in an edible banana leaf, then a ti leaf, and steamed
- haupia- basically, coconut jello
- mochi - slightly sweet, gummy dessert, sometimes filled with beans, ice cream, or something else tasty
- manapua - steamed roll filled with meat
- kalua pork - basically, roast shredded pork
- Hawaiian Sun juice - I grew up on this stuff, and you can't get strawberry-guava juice on the mainland
- shrimp chips - snack chips with a totally different texture than potato chips.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to try these today:
- shave ice from the North Shore- because Hawaii shave ice isn't the same anywhere else
- rice cake - don't know how to describe this one either- sweet rice jello?

Lemme know if you find a mainland way to make ANY of these- because I can't afford to fly all the way out here to indulge!

Sent on the go from my Peek

No comments:

Followers