12.28.2007

Broccoli Chowder

I got lots of compliments on this recipe! It's a fresh-rather-than-frozen version of Betty Crocker's.
1 package au gratin potatoes, including sauce mix packet
3 C milk
1/2 C frozen corn
1/4 C chopped celery
3 C water
2 chicken bullion cubes
2 bunches broccoli, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 C shredded swiss cheese

Steam broccoli to soften, 5-7 minutes.

Combine all ingredients except cheese and heat to boiling in a large saucepan. Reduce heat & simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

When ready to serve, stir in cheese. Simmer about 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.

Makes 10 servings.

This could be dinner or a side, and adding cooked, shredded chicken to the mix would make it even heartier.

4 comments:

ashley said...

This might be a stupid question but... what are "au gratin potatoes"?

Joanna said...

"au gratin" is a fancy French word for "with cheese" or something. The recipe called for this box of potatoes, but I got the Aldi version.

ashley said...

I don't think I realized that potatoes came in boxes. :-p

ashley said...

I'm sorry, I'm told that my last comment was mean. I really didn't intend it to be so - I thought as the queen of prepackaged foods, I would have realized that potatoes can come in boxes. I didn't mean to be mean or make you feel bad... I hope you took it the way that I intended!

Followers