11.25.2007

Pumpkin Ice Cream

I've been scanning food blogs over the last week, and have seen recipe after recipe for what to do with leftover turkey. Well, leftover turkey wasn't a problem around here. My mom just cooked turkey breasts rather than an entire turkey, and the meat is gone. The dilemma was an unusual one to have- we had leftover pie. I made a pumpkin pie last weekend for just the two of us, and we ate a couple pieces here or there- but them I cooked another pie for the family Thanksgiving meal, and the pumpkin pie hasn't been touched since. What to do with most-of-a-week-old-pie in the refrigerator? I saw a recipe for Pumpkin Ice cream, and, after looking at the ingredients, decided I could use the old pie innards to make ice cream. (To be honest, I love ice cream, and had been looking for an excuse to use my ice cream maker.)

So, I did a rare thing: I went out & bought an ingredient specifically for a recipe: heavy cream (or "whipping cream". They're the same thing.) I never have this on hand, or, if I try to keep it on hand, it goes bad before I get around to using it. Lesson learned.

Anyway, here's my leftover-pumpkin-pie ice cream recipe. I'm probably the only person ON THE PLANET who has or ever will have leftover pumpkin pie, but, here it goes:
2 C heavy cream (whipping cream)
1 C milk
1-1 1/3 C pumpkin pie filling (Yes, I actually just scooped this out of the pie slices sitting in my refrigerator.)
1/2 C sugar

Mix all ingredients and dump them in an ice cream maker. Let it run for 20-25 minutes. If desired, in the last 5 minutes, pour chopped pie crust in the mix (I didn't do this, but thought about it. I think it would work.) Serve immediately or freeze for 2+ hours for a firmer consistency.

I was really excited about how this turned out. It looked like ice cream! And sometimes homemade ice cream doesn't! AND- it tastes like pumpkin pie! There were serious doubts voiced that it might not have very much flavor, since I totally made up the recipe out of (pretty much) nothing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, sounds delicious. I played around with ice cream a lot this summer and found that most of the time only the custard-style ice creams had the right texture with an at-home machine. The pumpkin probably added a lot of texture and body to this ice cream though.

Have you tried any of David Lebovitz's recipes? They were all over the web this summer. He wrote an ice cream book called The Perfect Scoop. Best chocolate ice cream ever.

Joanna said...

Corinne- Yes, normal people would make ice cream in the summer. For whatever reason, I'm making it in the winter. I'm so weird.
As you said, I think this turned out better than my typical non-custard ice creams because the pumpkin pie filling was a "custard" of sorts. And, I'm going to look into some of David Lebovitz's recipes, now that you mention it.

Scribbit said...

I just saw a recipe for pumpkin playdough at The Mother Load that made me curious, I'll have to book mark it--and pumpkin ice cream sounds fabulous.

Followers