4.26.2007

The Irresistible Omelette

I made some really good omelettes this week.

An omelette was one of the first things I ever tried to cook, and I discovered I was good at it, so, while in college, when we were over at my then-boyfriend, now-husband's apartment, we'd have omelettes for dinner fairly often. They're really a pretty good meal- very filling, but not heavy. And cheap! This week's selection was a sausage and cheddar omelette for my husband, and a garlic, mushroom, sausage, and mozzarella omelette for me.

Here's the basic recipe:
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/3 C milk
Filling ingredients:
Anything that sounds good will work. Cheese is usually included, along with vegetables or meat. I use whatever's convenient, really. Make sure all filling ingredients are fully cooked (i.e. brown the sausage or saute the mushrooms beforehand)

Heat an omelette pan on the stove. If you don't have an omelette pan, use your smallest frying pan. Your omelette will end up being a half-circle, half the size of your pan. If the pan is too big, the egg will spread out too far and be too thin, and break. Use three eggs if you're using a pan much bigger than 7 or 8 inches in diameter.

Break the eggs in a bowl and add the milk. Whisk these together, as if you were going to make scrambled eggs (you essentially are, minus the 'scrambling' part). Pour this mixture to the hot pan.

When the edges of the egg pool in the pan start to become defined (cooked), use a spatula to carefully lift a bit of the edge of the egg, and tilt the pan to let the uncooked egg run under the cooked edge. Repeat this process all the way around the pan, as many times as necessary to have all the egg mostly cooked.

When the top middle is still soft and the underside is somewhat browned, add cheese and filling ingredients to one half of the pan. Have a plate handy. Carefully lift the half without the filling to cover the filling. Take the pan off the heat and gently slide the omelette, still folded, onto a serving plate. Top with more cheese and a few filling ingredients for garnish, if desired.

Serve warm, with hashbrowns and/or toast or biscuits.

Servings: A two-egg omelette is a generous one-person serving. Often, I'll make a three-egg omelette and cut it in half for two people. Otherwise, for two people, one omelette is left to get cold while the second one cooks!


Notes: While looking for an example of an omelette pan, I found this explanation on how to make an omelette, that is probably more 'proper' than mine.

And, I know, I really shoulda taken a picture. I didn't. I'll update this next time I make omelettes and remember to have my camera handy.

No comments:

Followers