12.13.2007

Hot Cocoa Mix

As these days have gotten colder, we've opted to do our best to keep the thermostat set as low as possible. This has resulted in finding other ways to keep warm- and usually means drinking a hot drink almost every evening. Usually we choose a tea we like to warm us up, but once every few days we crave something creamier and sweeter. When I noticed that we were going through our hot cocoa packets at an alarming rate, and I remembered a recipe for the mix I had seen on Amy's blog, I checked that I had everything on hand and decided to give it a try.
4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup non-dairy coffee creamer
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate fudge pudding

- Place all ingredients in large bowl. Stir together with a wire whisk. (I added a pinch of cinnamon as well- just a little for aroma!)
- Place mix in a sifter and sift to make a really fine powder. This really make sure everything is really combined. (I couldn't do this- but if you can, do it- I imagine it will help the mix dissolve better, especially the dry milk pieces. I've also read you can use a food processor on this step- something else I don't have)
- Store in a sealed container.

To serve: Add 1/2 cup of mix to a mug filled with water (If you don’t like a rich cup of cocoa, stick to 1/4 cup of the mix. I usually split the difference & go with 1/3 cup, which is plenty rich)

I packaged up some of the mix in a Christmas tin to give to a friend, and kept the rest around for ourselves- and it is still getting good use! This was surprisingly creamy. We enjoy it very much. Perfect for snowmen mugs and winter evenings!

No comments:

Followers